Lake Vernon Association Mandate-Draft -May 11th, 2017
The mission of the Lake Vernon Association is to protect the natural environment, health and beauty of Lake Vernon, and address issues affecting the lake as well as its membership, while promoting a supportive community. Our mandate, on behalf of the membership, is as follows:
1. To monitor and promote water quality. The LVA conducts a variety of water monitoring initiatives to ensure the continuing health of our lake and, when necessary, works with relevant stakeholders to address areas of concern. We also engage in advocating the maintenance and creation of natural shorelines that support a healthy lake environment and combat unnecessary erosion of the shoreline.
2. To advocate environmentally responsible land development. We review building variance applications on or near Lake Vernon to promote responsible development on and around the lake. The LVA also engages in discussions with local government, relevant stakeholder groups, and lake associations on proposed initiatives that may impact Lake Vernon and its surroundings.
3. To host fun, social activities for our membership. The LVA manages a number of events that provide our membership with opportunities to engage in a social setting with their lake neighbours. We seek to hold a variety of events that are of interest to our members and appeal to the broad demographic that we represent.
4. To communicate meaningfully with and on behalf of the LVA. The LVA maintains regular communication with local government and stakeholders to identify issues and opportunities that will affect our lake community. We utilize multiple communication channels to hear from and share information with our membership.
5. To prudently manage the finances of the Association. As a not for profit organization, the LVA generates required revenues from annual membership fees, donations, and periodic project-specific fundraising. The Association works conservatively to ensure that funds are available to meet operating needs, and that adequate reserves are maintained to meet unexpected financial requirements.
6. To conduct outreach and manage membership to maximize representation. The LVA would not exist without its members, and a healthy membership supports the breadth of our activities. It also enhances our credibility and effectiveness in representing the interests of Lake Vernon residents. We have an active policy to welcome new members to the lake.
Together, we share the responsibility of preserving the natural beauty of Lake Vernon’s shoreline.